Sunday, December 20, 2009

MY Lotions, Potions and Serums

One thing about living in Minnesota, you simply cannot have the same skincare regimen all year round.
It can be 98 degrees in the summer and 60 below in the winter. We are in the land of extremes here kids and have now entered the latter.

I'm pretty good at telling everyone what they should be using and thought it was about time I gave you my skincare routine.

Keep in mind I am 43. That's another thing, your skin changes throughout your lifetime, so what you used 10-20 years ago is not going to be what you use now. If it is, come in and see me. We'll talk.

My skincare regimen begins with Vie Cleansing Cream - I'm not sure if I'm ever going to be able to give this up as my late fall/winter/early spring cleanser. It is creamy goodness that I would compare in consistency to cold cream.
I have been using it for 8 years and if there is a better anti-age cleansing cream out there, I haven't found it.

Cleansing creams take some getting used to, but if you are patient and learn that that is how your skin is supposed to feel, you will be rewarded beautifully.

I'm a toner girl. I like my face wet with something other than water. I want each step of my routine to be beneficial. So, since it is imperative that skin be wet when applying moisturizer, I want that "wet" to be functional, thus, I use toner.
For years I have been using Vie Toner (looks and feels like milk), but I have recently given it up for a rosewater toner.
Why? Good question. I want to minimize my pores as much as possible. I've never felt like mine were large, but they certainly don't get smaller as we age and I felt like it may now be time to get on that.
And, any aesthetician will tell you, if you want to minimize pore size, you use rosewater toner. If your aesthetician doesn't know that, it's time to find a new skincare professional.

That's your next task. Ask your skincare professional what is the best toner to use to minimize pores.
If you are given the wrong answer, fire them.
I know, I know, I'm a beauty bitch.
Ok, back to rosewater toner.
I carry two kinds of rosewater toner. The one with the link above, is from Galen Labs. That one is actually a hydrosol.
Hydrosols are the distilled liquid that remains after making essential oils.

After I spritz my face and fingertips with rose hydrosol, I apply one pump of INtelligent Nutrients Anti-Aging Serum. As I have spoken about this on many occasions, there is something magical about this serum. That is all I can say. I can't really explain it. My skin just glows. The smell is divine. 'Nuf said.

Immediately after I apply the serum, I apply Phytoceane Anti-Oxidant Cream.
I am using this because it is new and because I cannot help myself and have to experiment with product. But, it doesn't seem to be enough with this crazy dry, cold weather we are having here in the frozen tundra of MN.
Because the above cream just is not enough, I am THEN applying organic shea butter on top of this.

I also use that same shea butter on elbows, feet and hands. Though, I do have a jar of Galen Labs Shea Cream that I use on my body as well. I've tried to use this shea cream on my face but the various essential oils in it don't play well on my face. I'm too sensitive. But, if you have some and want to try it, give it a whirl. If you react at all, discontinue use on face. By all means though, keep slathering it on your bod. It is luscious!

I hope I haven't lost you. I'm a freak and love the feel of supple, plump, glowing skin.
Great skincare helps you retain collagen as you age, thus keeping skin firm with minimal wrinkles.

This routine is done morning and evening. Seriously, it takes about 5 minutes to do these steps.

Once a week I exfoliate. If you are exfoliating more than once or twice a week, you are doing it too much, so stop.
I have used the Vie Exfoliant for 8 years as well. Truly, the next best thing is a microdermabrasion. BUT, I have to admit that as soon as this tube is gone, I may be moving to its sister exfoliant, Equavie Organic Exfoliating Cream. This is another magical product that I have been experimenting with. Not only does it have physical exfoliating properties, it also has an enzyme exfoliant and I was quite intrigued with the results the few times I used it. AND, it's cheaper.

After I exfoliate, I like to do a mask. Your skin is very clean and open to accept all of those anti-aging lotions and potions and a fantastic mask is the perfect starter to a wonderful skincare week.
The Vie Hydra-Renewing Mask is the best out there, hands down, if you are looking for maximum anti-aging properties and hydration.

So, that's it kids. That's my winter routine.

Once April arrives there will be a couple changes and I will let you know about my spring routine.....then summer.
Post a Comment