Monday, February 29, 2016

Helen

Stormsisters Lips Accessorized - Helen
My grandmother Helen, was a leap baby - born February 29th. I remember having fun with her on her leap birthday, trying to figure out how old she would be if she only celebrated her birthday every four years.

Grandma was also the main reason I love lipstick so much, and when I was developing Stormsisters - Lips Accessorized, there was no question I would name a shade after her.

When I was a little girl, beginning at the age of 4 or so, and we would go over to visit my grandparents, I would give all of my kisses and hugs upon arrival and immediately run to the bathroom and lock the door. Same ritual. Visit after visit, for years.

My grandmother kept her Estee Lauder lipsticks in a covered, round, wooden bowl on the bathroom counter. I used to hop up on the toilet and climb onto the counter facing the mirror. I would then open one of her pink lipsticks and apply, admire for a minute or so and then wipe off. Of course I was too young to be wearing lipstick so this tradition kept up for many years in her locked bathroom. Hugs and kisses, lipstick application.
In fact, even when I became a grown woman and could wear lipstick without hiding it, I would open her tubes of lipstick whenever I went into the bathroom, simply to inhale that familiar lipstick aroma. I remember being disappointed when Estee Lauder changed the formulation and their lipsticks smelled completely new and unfamiliar.

I'll never forget the smell of those lipsticks. Truth be told, I found an old Estee Lauder lipstick at an estate sale once and I had to open it and see if it still smelled like how I remembered. It did. That lipstick came home with me and I still will open it periodically and take in a deep breath of it.

Simple pleasures.

Happy Birthday, Grandma.
Post a Comment