Tuesday, January 12, 2010

NONTOXIQUE on Twin Cities Live

How thrilled was I to see NONTOXIQUE featured on TCL.
And, just this morning it was featured on PopFizz Daily - Thanks Sara!

I was glad to see this segment on Twin Cities Live, about local beauty brands. My beauty-soul-sista, Elizabeth Dehn from Minnesota Monthly along with Elizabeth Ries were showcasing the Minnesota body/hand creme brands.

Each day more and more local brands are launched. Following close behind are new converts to shopping with local small businesses. I love it!

But....(you knew that was coming, right?)

I must say I was quite disappointed to see NONTOXIQUE included with some brands that I would not dare put on my skin (remember, your skin is the largest organ and you wouldn't put chemicals on your....let's say, your liver, would you?)
Yeah, I know I'm being a bit, drama.
Naysayers would say you wouldn't want to put virgin coconut oil on your liver either, but you get the point.

I have listed the ingredients for each product, below.
You decide which brand you would like on your body.
I know I could make your life much easier by listing my beef with many of the ingredients listed in these products, but I do that all of the time on this blog and I get a bit tired (as I imagine you do as well) of repeating myself, so why don't you do yourself, and your largest organ, a favor and do some research.

I suppose I should cover my butt and say that I am not saying any of the ingredients are "toxic", because they have been deemed "safe" by the FDA.
I am also not a scientist.
But, I spent many years in a field that has a ridiculously high rate of cancer and that makes me wonder what is going on.

Amlactin ingredients: Water, Lactic Acid Neutralized With Ammonium Hydroxide, Light Mineral Oil, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Laureth-4, Polyoxyl 40 Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Methylcellulose.

NONTOXIQUE ingredients: Purified water, *aloe vera juice, *jojoba oil, *virgin coconut oil, mango butter, mowrah butter, vegetable emulsifying wax, kiwi extract, avocado oil, vitamin E, gotu kola, comfrey, alfalfa, sage, tumeric, ginseng, calendula oil, xanthan gum, buriti oil, sea buckthorn oil, grapefruit seed extract, rosemary extract, essential oils of anise and *sweet orange. *Indicates NOP Organic Ingredients.

Vanicream ingredients: Water (Purified), White Petrolatum, Cetearyl Alc, Ceteareth 20, Sorbitol Solution, Propylene Glycol, Simethicone, Glyceryl Monostearate, Polyethylene Glycol Monostearate, Sorbic Acid, BHT

Hand Relief ingredients: Aqueous (Water, Aqua Purificata, Purified) Extracts: Echinacea Purpurea (Coneflower), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Dimethicone, Glycerol Stearate, Polyglycerol-6-Dioleate, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Lactic Acid, PEG-100 Stearate, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice Root Extract), Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Carapa Guaianensis (Andiroba) Seed Oil, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Fragrance, Limonene, Linalool, Citral, Xanthan Gum, Maltodextrin, Sodium Lactate, Magnesium Sulfate, Potassium Sorbate, Chlorphenesin

Let's say I am completely off base. Let's say I am completely wrong and barking up the wrong tree.
That still doesn't change which ingredient list I want slathered all over me.
Post a Comment