Monday, November 23, 2009

Black and Tan

I met an African-American gentleman on Saturday night who confessed something to me.
He goes in for a spray-tan once a week.

Needless to say, I about fell over upon hearing his secret.
This man is not light skinned and didn't have an uneven complexion. (I asked him to show me his arms and legs as I kinda wondered if he had that Michael Jackson pigment disease that M was always saying he had. ) He didn't.
In all my years in the beauty biz, I have never heard of a dark-skinned person going in for spray tanning. Of course, I couldn't let that revelation go without a barrage of questioning.

"Why?" I asked.
"My skin just glows and I look Egyptian" he says. I wondered what his definition of "Egyptian-looking" was?
"Couldn't you just use a fantastic body oil to brighten things up?" I ask.
"I've never found anything that makes my skin look like that." he says.

There were other questions, but I just could not get my head around the whole experience so I don't remember all of them - There were cocktails involved as well. It's not my fault.

Personally, I don't understand why ANYONE would go into a room, expose their largest organ (their skin!) AND lungs, to a chemical-laden spray fest, let alone someone with beautiful dark skin.
But hey, to each his/her own.

Are black people really going in for spray tanning? Is there anyone out there that can help me understand this?
Post a Comment