Friday, April 10, 2009

SPF and Vitamin D

I Googled "wrinkled, tan skin" and this photo was listed on the first search page. Since I own a Shar Pei and they are the cutest dogs EVER, I just had to keep it. So, here's to you, Boone.

Note, wrinkly tan skin is cute on puppies, not on humans.

For years, we skincare people and doctors, etc., have been preaching that sunbathing is bad. There is still entirely too much of it going on, if you ask me, and sun worshippers are not wearing enough sunscreen.

Well, all of the doom and gloom has created a whole group, and not the group that was/is abusing the sun, that wears sunscreen all of the time. I wonder if they are sleeping in it.
It has gone to such an extreme for some people that there has been a surge of Vitamin D deficiency as of late.

I get people in the store or who email me with their sunscreen questions all of the time. They are getting conflicting feedback from every angle. Hey, I get it. And then here I am with my two-cents. Oy!

I received a "tweet" today (yes, StormSister Spatique is Tweeting) and seriously, it was the last straw.
Yes, it is just another persons opinion to use sunscreen every waking hour, but all of these conflicting reports just frustrate me sometimes. And, if they are frustrating me, I'm certain they are confusing you. Or, maybe I just have a short fuse.
Whatever, this is my blog.

Moderation, people. Moderation.
Here are my rules on sunscreen, and I believe MY rules have a lot of merit. I grew up in the beauty biz, so there!

If you are going to sunbathe you are FOOLISH to not wear SPF30. IF you are going to lie in the sun, maximum exposure should be 45 minutes. Also, humor me and wear it on your face and cover your face, completely. If you don't like this rule, no worries, I'm not your mom.
Though, when you hit 40 and you look like you've been "rode hard and put away wet", I'll be much older and still look younger than you. So there.
If you are 40+ listen to me and we'll slow down that aging process. I promise.

I am telling you this for your own good. I want you to be pretty/handsome and healthy.

If you are going to be outside for more than a 30-45 minute stretch, on a sunny day, wear SPF30 on your face/body. Also, wear a hat, if you look cute in hats.
I don't. Pity.

If you're going to be in and out of the house/work all day long on a sunny day wear a 10/15 SPF on face and exposed flesh.

If none of these scenarios pertains to you, relax. No need to wear sunscreen.

Hey, it's all fun and games until someone gets rickets.

Vitamin D Levels Low Among People In U.S., Particularly Those With Darker Skin, Study Finds

U.S. Faces Vitamin D Deficiency Epidemic
Post a Comment