Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Integrity in Skincare

I've been sitting on this post for a few days. Why?

I needed to figure out how I can present it without sounding like a raving lunatic. I should be able to do it here because I certainly can handle myself with clients. Though, I admit I am "passionate".

A new client came in last Friday. She was looking over the store and inquired about a facial moisturizer. From the list of products she told me she has used, I thought she would be interested in the Equavie Organic Skincare line.
She is 52 and has had some Restylane injections in some lines around her mouth, but told me she just didn't feel like they lasted very long. (Once she gave me some dates, I agreed that they hadn't.) I then asked her to tell me what skincare she was using when she received the injections. "Oh, just some bar soap", and then she named some over-the-counter moisturizer. I kept it pretty cool, but I was seeing red! Bar soap? I have a rule: No foaming cleansers on facial skin over 30. And as you may know, I'm not a fan of bar soap anyway, let alone bar soap on the face. BUT, that is my crazy, and I have several clients who love the Marseille 72% Olive Oil soap on their faces, and because I don't have a complaint about their skin, I will tip my hat to them. The "drugstore" moisturizer is another no-no.
Certainly, my new client has done nothing wrong. She had some skincare concerns, she went to a clinic here in the Twin Towns and they went and filled those lines right in. Wasn't that nice of them to make a quick couple of hundred bucks and not give her any tools? They gave this woman fantastic results - I LOVE Restylane by the way - and sent her on her way.

This is how this client should have been treated/educated.
Client comes into clinic. Wants lines to disappear. The FIRST questions should be about what skincare she is using at home. Bar soaps and drugstore moisturizers are not going to cut it - Let's be real, if they did, we all wouldn't be feeling like we look old.
Client needs to be educated BEFORE she/he receives any type of injection. She/he needs to be on professional skincare. Facials at least 4 times a year should also be suggested. Yes, at least 4 times per year with some microdermabrasion treatments. If you are willing to shell out hundreds of dollars on quick fixes, do your skin a favor and treat it with the love it deserves!
Seriously, when great skincare is used and skin is properly hydrated, it is AMAZING how many fine lines disappear. Sometimes, that is all the client really wanted in the first place. But they are rarely ever told any of this. Laser centers and plastic surgery clinics see dollar signs and DO NOT EDUCATE.....or educate properly.

After a MINIMUM of 3 months on a religious regimen of great skincare, I would suggest some laser treatments,. Again, this is a great next step that can erase even deeper fine lines, age spots, rosacea, etc.
After a few treatments, if there is still the need, THEN fill in the lines or have plastic surgery.
Yes, a quick collagen injection works wonders. But, it will last longer when skin is in optimum health. And you'll stave off the more invasive procedures that you may reconsider down the line. Injections and surgery are not fun. Do everything you can before you feel the need to do it.
We have a "quick-fix" mentality in this country and I don't like it. Have some integrity beauty professionals.

I can hear some beauty professionals saying that maybe the client didn't want to use the skincare products suggested to them. That may be true. I have certainly had those very clients in MY store. Some just don't want to do the work - Quick Fix Society, remember? Do everyone a favor then, say no. Integrity stays in tact and the clients that do listen, will respect the honesty.
There is an epidemic of dishonesty with beauty professionals towards their clients. It's plain and simple and I see it almost every day.
If you are looking for a laser clinic, plastic surgeon, esthetician, etc. Give me a jingle. I have great referrals for you.
Post a Comment